The Mid-Atlantic Recreation and Parks Sports Alliance (MARPSA) is a consortium of over 20 Recreation and Parks Departments in Maryland and Virginia, sports officiating groups, and sport governing bodies in the region. Official's Organizations and Youth Sports Associations in the Mid-Atlantic region.
Since 2002, the mission of MARPSA has been to develop and communicate a consistent message that organizations and their players, coaches, administrators, and spectators will be held accountable to a code of conduct. Our code of conduct promotes Good Sports and keeps recreational competitive and non-competitive sporting activities in proper perspective.
Over the past 18 years, we have been able to achieve many goals set by the alliance. These include:
- Build an active alliance of over 18 agencies and organizations from Maryland and Virginia
- Develop a universal Sportsmanship Code of Conduct for Players, Parents, and Coaches
- Official logo for MARPSA
- Development of website www.marpsa.org
- Yearly "Good Sports" Awards recognizing coaches, players, officials, and administrators (est. 2004)
- Resource Guidelines and Recommendation Standards on Health and Safety Best Practices and Behavioral Management Standards
- Focus Topics on head injuries, concussions, helmet and equipment safety, bullying, recreation leagues, travel programs, field usage, field development, background checks, Regional Track and Field Meet
- Presentations about MARPSA at the Maryland Recreation and Parks Society and Virginia Recreation Society Conferences.
- Various speakers at the meetings and awards ceremonies, including former WNBA player Nikki Teasley, and members of the 1971 TC Williams Titans from "Remember the Titans" movie.